Want To Start Face Painting As A Hobby? Check Out This Art & Craft Store


A lot of people do not know that I like face painting and special effect makeups, in fact, the very first Youtube video that brought me into liking makeup was a SFX tutorial. If you have been following me since the very beginning when I started this Instagram account, you would notice that I have uploaded few of my face painting/sfx makeup looks that I eventually took them down when my followers started to increase (well, talk about self-confidence).

Buying sfx makeup kits can be hard sometimes especially when you're living in Malaysia and I believe one of the reasons contributing to it is that we don't celebrate Halloween vastly like the Western countries. I feel like it was only until last year I started seeing face paints, fake blood, etc (basically Halloween related stuffs) in shops like Daiso and MR DIY. Sebelum ni mana ada doh? So, right now, although I'm still a beginner and not too experienced to discuss this, I'd like to share with you guys a post about this art supply store that I've always visit whenever I pass by Damansara. 


The place is called as "Art Friend" and it has been around for so long as I can remember. So far, they only have 2 stores in Malaysia- The Gardens, and another one is at The Curve Damansara. 

I believe all of these cosmetic grade face paints selling here are hypoallergenic- meaning that they are suitable for the skin especially on your face area. Most of them are also water based so that come off easily by just washing with water. I've seen the classic yet popular brand like "Snazaroo" colour palettes and "Global Colours" from Australia. Palmer Face Paint is also available at Art Friend, RM9 per bottle but the colours are very limited. There are also 3-4 other brands too that I couldn't recall. Alternatively, you can also buy Snazaroo Face Paint at certain bookstores like Kinokuniya but if I remember it correctly, the price offered at there is a bit more expensive.

For Global ColoursI've seen the face painting kit (Primary Colours, Commando, Fluorescent and Metallic) selling for RM40+, the full-colour range of BodyArt and Glitters selling for the price ranging from RM19 to RM53 and also few other sfx stuffs like liquid latex, foundation and blood gel. Below are some of the pictures I took while I was there;



Prices:
15ml Face Paint- TBA
*
45ml Liquid Latex- RM19.93 (member's price: RM17.94)
200ml Liquid Latex- RM44.89 (member's price: RM40.40)
*
45ml BodyArt Face and Body Paint- RM19.93 (member's price: RM17.94)
200ml BodyArt Face and Body Paint- RM44.89 (member's price: RM40.40)
*
45ml BodyArt Glitter Face Paint- RM19.93 (member's price: RM17.94)
200ml BodyArt Glitter Face Paint- RM44.89 (member's price: RM40.40

45ml BodyArt Metalic Paint- RM22.26 (member's price: RM20.03)
200ml BodyArt Metalic Paint- RM52.89 (member's price: RM47.60)
*
45ml BodyArt Fluorescent Paint-RM22.26 (member's price: RM20.03)
200ml Body Art Fluorescent Paint- RM52.89 (member's price: RM47.60)
*
and here's my haul (white paint and liquid latex);




Colourful paints are definitely essentials but just like regular everyday makeup look, brushes are also important when it comes to face painting. In the same store, you can get all sort of nylon paint brushes and sponges. They are originally for canvas painting, but I don't see anything wrong using them as face brushes especially when you want to deal with paints, wax, silicone, gelatin and latex. I mean surely you don't want to ruin your fancy makeup brushes, right?

Another thing you can buy from this art store is paper clay or any type of clay together with its sculpting tools. Paper clay dries out in room temperature and I've seen some sfx makeup artists using it as a medium to create masks. Plaster of Paris would work too and all these you can get from the same art store.




(1) Art Friend The Curve @ Mutiara Damansara (+603 77222211)
Address: 
Second Floor Lot 245B
6 Jalan PJU 7/3
47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.

(2) Art Friend The Gardens @ Mid Valley City (+603 22847777)
Address: 
Third Floor Lot T-213
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

So there you are, my simple post on face painting and sfx makeup. This would be beneficial to those who is getting into sfx as a hobby and have no idea where or how to start. I do enjoy this kind of creative makeup because you can completely transform yourself into someone or something new by JUST MAKEUP. It's seriously so fulfilling! 

Share This Article:

CONVERSATION

1 Comments :

adeline medows said...

While painting outside totally, the principal thing to be painted after all arrangements have been achieved is for the most part splashing the body 2 coats wet on dry. painter new braunfels